Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bored on a Saturday Night

I had nothing to do on Saturday Night. While I was safe in my comfort zone eating ice cream and cookies while watching 30 Rock, I thought I should be a little more adventurous considering my young age. I wanted to go out. Having very few friends in my hometown of Baltimore, I turned to Google to help me figure out something to do on this lonesome Saturday Night. I typed in the search bar, "what can you do in downtown Baltimore on Saturday night?" 

The very first link that appeared was an ABC news headline, "2 Stabbed After Large Fight in Downtown Baltimore." I don't know about most people, but I'd prefer NOT getting stabbed on my Saturday Night. I was a little surprised that the first link regarding going out on Saturday nights was about murder, but then I remembered where I lived, Baltimore, Maryland, also known as, "Bodymore, Murderland." It occurred to me that maybe "Bodymore" is not the best city to have fun on a Saturday night, and I decided to look up other cities...

Google Search: "What can you do in Washington DC on Saturday Night?"
Hit: "Another Saturday Night, and I Ain't got Nobody." link to a list of popular singles clubs.
Assessment: Oh, I can relate, you poor, disenfranchised... whatever you call someone from DC...

Google Search: Philadelphia
Hit: "Wow! What a Saturday night in Philadelphia!" alright here we go Philly. Sounds exciting! It's a Bruce Springsteen concert.... from 2007.
Assessment: Mkay, sounds really fun.... if I had a time machine...

Google Search: New York City
Hit: "Circle Line Special Events: Dance Cruise of New York City's Harbor" Dancing on a boat in the greatest city in the world... alright sounds interesting.
Assessment: I cannot for the life of me get the image of an epic conga line of elderly folks wearing Hawaiian TShirts out of my head.

Google Search: Boston
Hit: "Everybody's out on a Saturday Night"
Assessment: Well thanks for rubbing that in, Boston.

Google Search: Chicago
Hit: "Bars: Downtown Chicago"
Assessment: A list of bars in downtown Chicago. Straight to the point. No funny business here.

Google Search: Nashville
Hit: "Steve McNair and Sahel Kazemi killed" oh my.
Assessment: This happened July 4th... I guess that's the most interesting thing happening there on Saturday nights... mkay not my kinda town.

Google Search: Cleveland
Hit: "What do teens do around Cleveland Saturday night?" just a yahoo answers deal.
Assessment: My teacher always taught me never to answer a question with another question. Especially with the same question, for that matter.

Google Search: New Orleans
Hit: "25 year old slain Saturday night in eastern New Orleans"
Assessment: Died on the scene from multiple shot wounds.... alright, don't think I'll be traveling there anytime soon.

Google Search: Miami
Hit: "Disco Saturday night in Downtown Miami"
Assessment: Oh, Miami, you continue to surprise me.

Google Search: Las Vegas
Hit: "What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas"
Assessment: Pardon me.

Google Search: Seattle
Hit: "The Saturday Night Massacre" Killings made in clubs in Seattle, cops cracking down on it
Assessment: Oooohhhhhh sounds like a horror slasher movie, I'd go just to watch, but I'd ask to not be involved.

Google Search: Los Angeles
Hit: "Free - Concerts @ Pershing Square Downtown Los Angeles"
Assessment: Alright, concerts are awesome. And just in my price range! 

While I am envious of most cities and their interesting offers they have on Saturday nights, I am glad that I did something with my time, which did not involve stuffing my face with cookies and chips while watching late night tv shows. I'm happy that I know what cities I can go to for a good Saturday night, and what cities to avoid so I don't get murdered.

1 comment:

  1. you need to visit either in Philly or New York soon, these are nice places to be. Not Baltibore. LA is trashy unless you're by the beach.

    I've been to Miami...I don't like it. It oozes superficiality worse than L.A. All the people who think they're hot shit. It's too much. For example, Brooke Hogan lives in Miami. nuff said.

    Vegas...21st birthday, gonna happen, you have to come too.

    Who the hell ever wants to go Seattle, Nashville or Cleavland?

    Boston's nice, but tooooo quiet for me.

    and despite the Katrina mess, New Orleans, I wanna go one day for Mardi Gras!!! I would've loved to go post hurricane, though before the hurricane I was like 15.

    Chi City, I do wanna visit Chicago. It's a very cool city. And the people there are very chill and fun, but not too overbearing. Lupe, Common and Kanye are from Chicago.

    ReplyDelete